I was first taught how to make it by my sweet friend Crystal. During my last year of grad school we were two of the last of our college 'gang' to still be in town and we had a Friday night ritual of cooking dinner at my apartment and watching Friday night TV. I particularly remember Joan of Arcadia.... One night we made Chipotle copy cat (Before we had one in our college town), other nights fish tacos, and.... this pizza. I believe the recipe first came from our friend Letty (thanks Letty!). And after I got married the following fall it became a regular in our rotation. Last night as we were eating it my husband said all he could think of were our first few years of marriage in our first apartment, then our first house and lots of episodes of Smallville and Gilmore Girls. Ha! Apparently we watch TV when we eat this pizza :)
Well it was just as much of a hit last night as it was in those first few years and will definitely be making it's way back into my regular rotation!
I even found a decent crust that was easy and quick to throw together! Win! Win! I found the recipe for the crust here.
2 cups of unbleached self-rising flour*
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 Tbsp water
*Substitute 2 c. all-purpose flour + 1 tbsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt and increase water to 1/2 c.
1/2 red onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed or 2 3 tsp. of minced garlic
2 chicken breasts sliced in thin strips
3 Tbsp parsley
2 c. mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Mix the flour, oil, and water together. The mixture will be flakey, so use your hands to form it together and shape into a ball.
3. Cover with saran wrap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
4. While the dough is sitting heat a good dosing (3-4 Tbsp.) of olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onion and pressed garlic until the onion is soft and sweetened. Add the chicken and cook through.
5. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll the dough out between the two. I ended up finishing the rolling without the parchment paper to get it thin enough.
6. In a separate bowl combine the chicken/garlic/onion mixture with the parsley and half of the cheese. Spread on the crust distributing evenly over the entire surface. Top with the remaining cheese.
7. Cook in oven for 10-13 minutes or until crust is cooked through and cheese is bubbly.
<a data-pin-do="buttonFollow" href="http://www.pinterest.com/pinterest/">Pinterest</a>
Seriously, it's fantastic! Enjoy!